Saturday 24 July 2010

Barney Bags a Big Barbel

It was just my luck. I'd arranged to go barbel fishing on the river Dove with Gary Knowles, known to friends and enemies alike as Barney - and various other names, mainly to do with gas emissions. And then my youngest granddaughter Maisie went down with chicken pox, which meant we had to babysit (including me, as my wife can't drive).

It was bad enough not being able to go, but when Barney sent me a text to say he'd had a 12-pounder (12lb 4oz) it didn't help at all. Incidentally, I sent him my usual text reply to congratulate him. It's always one word - "TWAT"!, or sometimes "TWAAAAT!" - and he loves it!

Anyway, I've got my fingers crossed for next week now when we'll have another go for those barbs.

I haven't fished the Dove this new season yet, but I've been told it's the best opening to a new season for barbel on the Dove for many a year. About time too, for we've had quite a few years when the opening weeks have been absolute crap.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment